Welcome to
  Mid-America Feed Yard  
Ohiowa NE

'Finishing First'
 
 

CALL 800-228-4532 TO FEED YOUR NEXT PEN OF CATTLE AT MID-AMERICA FEED YARD WHERE YOUR CATTLE WILL BE SOLD ON A TRUE NEGOTIATED BASIS!

 

(800) 228-4532

Monday, October 22, 2018  
 
DTN Ag Headlines |  AgBizDir.com |  Portfolio |  Options |  Feeder Cattle News |  DTN Renewable Fuels |  Swine News |  Markets Page |  Livestock 
Home
Corn Bids
National Cattle and Beef Summary
Our Team
Mid-America Feed Yard
Switchboard
Calendar
Futures Markets
Customer Login/Register
Feedback
Admin Login
Employment Opportunities
 
 
Printable Page Headline News   Return to Menu - Page 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 13
 
 
US Commander Confident in Afghan Forces10/21 10:40

   WASHINGTON (AP) -- The assassination of Afghan leaders in Kandahar province 
won't lessen U.S. support for the war in Afghanistan or deter local security 
forces in the fight against the Taliban, the top U.S. military commander in the 
Middle East said Saturday.

   Gen. Joseph Votel said the U.S. was "pretty confident that the Afghans will 
be able to maintain the situation down" in Kandahar.

   The Taliban said Thursday's attack, which killed an influential police 
chief, targeted the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan. But U.S. military 
officials have said Army Gen. Scott Miller was not in the line of fire, and he 
escaped unharmed.

   The attack just before Saturday's parliamentary elections, where violence 
marred some balloting, was as a stark reminder of the formidable task the Trump 
administration faces as it tries to extricate America from its longest war.

   Votel expressed confidence in the ability of the Afghan forces to provide 
security for the election and into the future.

   "My assessment is the Afghans are resilient to this," he said. "I don't 
consider it to be something that will change the security situation."

   The Kandahar shooting, he said, won't diminish "our will or on us going 
forward."

   Votel's comment to reporters traveling with him at Al Udeid Air Base in 
Qatar echoed the sentiment expressed by U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on 
Friday.

   "We remain absolutely committed to an Afghan-led Afghan reconciliation," 
Mattis told reporters Friday at an Asian security conference in Singapore. 
"Right now, we're going toward the election and we will continue to defend the 
Afghan people."

   But the timing of the attack makes U.S. goals seem ever more distant.

   It came just a week after reported U.S. back-channel talks with the Taliban 
and as the administration steps up efforts to kick-start peace negotiations 
between the militant group and the Afghan government to end the war, now 
entering its 18th year.

   There are about 14,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan on a mission to train and 
assist Afghan government forces in taking the fight to the Taliban, which 
controls or contests close to half the districts in the country. Violence is 
rising, claiming the lives of hundreds of civilians every month. There have 
been seven U.S. combat deaths so far this year.

   U.S. Army Col. David Butler, who was near where the shooting occurred after 
Miller met Afghan officials, disputed the Taliban and said the target was 
Kandahar police chief Abdul Raziq, one of the three officials killed. But even 
their claim that they were going after Miller cast doubt on whether the 
militants are indeed willing to negotiate.

   The recent appointment of former U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan Zalmay 
Khalilzad as envoy for Afghan reconciliation was intended to energize the U.S. 
peace effort and coax the Taliban into direct talks with the government of 
Ashraf Ghani.

   The Taliban said its political representatives in Qatar met with Khalilzad a 
week ago, during his first multination trip since he took up his new post. The 
State Department did not confirm the Oct. 12 meeting, but did not deny it 
either, which was widely viewed in Washington as tacit acknowledgement it 
happened. A similar scenario played out in July, when the Taliban reported a 
meeting with the senior U.S. diplomat for South and Central Asia, Alice Wells.

   The risk of such back-channel talks is that could alienate the Afghan 
government. The Taliban claimed the two sides discussed finding a way to 
withdraw foreign forces from Afghanistan --- an issue that the Afghan 
government would demand a say in as it would be key to any peace settlement. 
Because U.S. officials haven't confirmed that the meeting happened, they have 
not been able to publicly deny the Taliban's account of the meeting.

   The Taliban have condemned the elections, calling them a U.S.-manipulated 
event to further their hold on the country, and pledged to disrupt them.

   The election for the 249-seat lower house is already three years overdue. 
The U.S. committed nearly $80 million in aid for U.N.-led support of Afghan 
election authorities.

   Voting in southern Kandahar province was been postponed for a week because 
of Thursday's attack and wasn't taking place at all in Ghazni because of 
insecurity there.


(KA)

 
 
Copyright DTN. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.
Powered By DTN